Friday, May 4, 2012

Pullissery aka "Yellow Moor"
This is a yogurt dish which pairs well with rice. A favorite of mine as a child and because I couldn't pronounce it, I called it "Yellow Moor". And I think all my cousins still call it that too. I would always watch my Mom prepare this dish and when she was done, I would pour some in a  cup and gobble it up. Everyone has their own way of making it. I was taught by my mom not to add onions,ginger or green chillies. The garlic on its own is the show stopper in my preparation.






Ingredients
Yogurt- 32 oz (homemade yogurt is your best option)
Water-if needed
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Fenugreek seeds-a pinch
Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp
Garlic-10-12 cloves peeled and sliced 
Dried red chilly-5
Curry leaves-2 stalks
Cumin seeds-a pinch(ground)
Vegetable oil-as needed


Directions
1.Pour the yogurt in a blender with just enough water to loosen it. Blend for a few minutes.

2.Once blended pour into a deep pan and put it on low medium heat to warm. Remember to constantly stir the yogurt with a wooden spoon. This is a bit time consuming.


3. If you are a multi tasker in the kitchen you can heat some oil in a pan and splutter some mustard seeds. 


4.To this you can add the fenugreek seeds and heat them through without burning them. 


5.Then add the garlic, dried red chillies and curry leaves. Saute for a few minutes till the garlic turn a golden brown color. 


6.Add the turmeric powder and mix well. Heat it through till the raw smell of the turneric is gone. 


7.Turn off the heat and add this to the warmed yogurt. 


8.Add the ground cumin seeds and stir well. 


9.The trick to seasoning the yogurt is waiting till the entire mixture cools down before adding the salt.


Happy Cooking!

3 comments:

  1. Jes... i was gonna ask you to add some of our traditional recipes as well once in a while... u read my mind.... lol

    This is a slightly different version... but you have it all.... good one.

    I'm looking forward to see for more naadan items with some podikais... like how to make the lady's finger not mushy... May be a blog itself for podikais...
    Happy Blogging...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks NM...I will be adding more nadan items to the lists soon. Podikais will be posted on the bottom of each blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate the support NM....Once my mom gets here I get some input from her as well...

    ReplyDelete