Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Kothu Parotta
I had no idea what this was and had never heard about this dish in my life. My hubby mentioned this dish to me in one his "Days at College( which you know is always a bit exxaggerated)". He was used to eating this in "dhabas"-the truck stop street cuisine of India, when he was a student in Karnataka. This dish originated in Tamil Nadu, but has cross overed into neighboring states. Flaked bread-parotta mixed in eggs and spicy masalas-that's what is is in a nutshell. You really can't go wrong,can you? I remember going to a restaurant in MI and having this for the first time and it definitely lived up to all the hype. And of course I wanted to try my version. Looked it up online and saw that there were so many variations of this single dish. I finally came up with a recipe that I found satisfying and flavorful! 





Ingredients
Parotta-4 (I use Maharani's Choice Frozen Parotta)
Eggs-2 (beaten)
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Onion-1 (diced)
Green chilly-2 (chopped)
Tomato-1 (diced)
*I use a small tomato because my husband isn't too keen of tomatoes. But if you want you could add a medium size one.
Ginger Garlic Paste-1 tsp
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
Chilly powder-  3/4 tsp to 1 tsp(adjust according to your level of heat)
Turmeric-1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves-a handful chopped
Oil
Salt to taste


Directions
1.In a wok or any frying pan add about 1/2 tbsp of vegetable oil and heat. Once heated add the cumin seeds and let them splatter.


2.Then add the diced onion, curry leaves and chopped green chilly. Saute for a few minutes. You can add a pinch of salt it helps the onions to render the liquid and make it cook faster. Now add the ginger garlic paste and combine it well. Saute for a couple minutes.


3.Next you can add the tomatoes and saute for a few minutes till it cooks through too. You don't want the mixture to be mushy so cook it till it looks dry.


4.Next you can add the chilly and turmeric powder. Saute this till the raw smell of the masalas are gone. May take 4-5 minutes.


5.Next take the frozen parottas and place in the microwave for about 1:15 minutes. Once heated through you can rip them apart with your hands or you can use a knife and give them a rough chop.


6.Add the pieces of parotta to the mixture and coat the masalas with the parottas and saute it altogether for a couple of minutes on a medium heat.


7.Lastly on a high heat you can add the beaten eggs and mix everything together for a couple minutes. Season with salt. Oh and don't forget to add the coriander leaves just before taking it off the heat.






"Magizhnthu Unnungal" Bon Appetit in Tamil,I think????


*This pairs well with a hot frothy cup of "BRU" coffee.

5 comments:

  1. Also try chilli porotta when u have left over porottas/ chappati

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should share the recipe so I can try it out...thanks dear...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesny I tried this today was soo tasty... thanks for the recipie...

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Elizabeth...glad you enjoyed it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this for dinner and it came out well..It tasted better than chilli porota..mrk

    ReplyDelete