Friday, September 7, 2012

Bento Lunches

A new craze of mine. I love how these lunches look and 'yes' it does take some time and effort. For those of you not familiar to Bento lunches-
Bento is a single-portion takeout or home-packed meal common in Japanese cuisine. A traditional bento consists of rice, fish or meat, and one or more pickled or cooked vegetables, usually in a box-shaped container.(according to Wikipedia)

My eldest started Kindergarten this year which meant sending her with packed lunches. Thank God that she isn't a picky eater, which makes lunch prep a breeze. I wanted her lunches to be special which made me curious about how I could go about it. With a little bit of Googling I found Bento lunch making and thought I'd give it a try.
Supplies
Lunch box
Vegetable cutter
Bento picks
Nori cutter
Nori/Seaweed
Egg Moulds
Mini Baking Cups(silicone)
The list could go on...You can find a lot of these supplies on Amazon.com.

Today's bento lunch was a turkey sandwich with a Cinderella theme. I followed the template from http://family.go.com/food/recipe-996743-cinderella-bento-box-t/. Then I just added some cut cucumbers, flower carrots and strawberries and a little treat-Hershey Kiss to make it extra sweet.


No comments:

Post a Comment